Informative Data Principles
Dentsu Inc. (hereinafter referred to as the “Company”) provides various advertising related services to advertisers and other Company clients by using information regarding Internet users acquired from websites, etc. The Company declares its commitment to legally and properly using information defined as “Informative Data” below by formulating the Informative Data Principles (hereinafter referred to as these “Principles”) with respect to the basic matters regarding the use of such Informative Data.
If Informative Data acquired by the Company constitutes personal information under the applicable personal information protection laws of each country, the Company will handle such Informative Data in accordance with the provisions of the Company’s Personal Information Protection Principles.
1. Definition of Informative Data
Informative Data means information regarding an individual such as log information on the use of internet that cannot identify a specific individual by itself, including, but not limited to, identifier information such as terminal identification ID, location information, browsing history, and purchase history.
2. Acquisition of Informative Data
The Company, by using character information called “cookie(s)” with which a web server can identify the computers (browsers) of Internet users and by using advertising IDs “AAID/IDFA” which can identify the terminals of smartphone App users, acquires Informative Data on Internet users and App users. The Company may also receive Informative Data from partner companies, etc.
3. Items and Retention Period for Informative Data to be Acquired
Informative Data to be acquired by the Company directly or from partner companies, etc. are as follows:
- Cookie IDs, website browsing histories and search histories to be acquired at the time of using web browsers
- Internet advertising access log data
- Advertising IDs and App usage histories to be acquired at the time of using smartphone Apps
- Television viewing log data
- Location information data
- Purchase data
- Research panel data
The Company individually determines the proper retention period for Informative Data it acquires by comprehensively considering the purposes of use, volume and nature of such Informative Data, and if received from partner companies, etc., the conditions of the contracts with such partner companies, etc., as well as other business needs.
4. Purposes of Use of Informative Data to be Acquired
The Company will use the Informative Data it acquires on behalf of advertisers and other Company clients for the following purposes:
- Provision of goods and services which meet the interests and preferences of Internet users, as well as information relating thereto;
- Development and improvement of goods and services for Company clients; and
- Proposal of goods and services to Company clients.
5. Methods of Use of Informative Data
The Data Management Platform, the Company’s digital marketing support system (hereinafter referred to as the “Service”), provides Company clients who use the Service with a mechanism for storing, processing, and analyzing data, in order to utilize the data of Internet users. The Service uses Informative Data obtained when Internet users visit websites or use Apps.
- The Company acquires and aggregates URLs and referrers (i.e. the website URL of the access source that a user was browsing immediately prior to the website that the user is currently browsing) of the website pages visited by Internet users on their computers (browsers), as well as acquiring and aggregating title and meta keywords (i.e. a collection of information relating to the browsed web pages), information regarding action histories (such as clicks on distributed advertisements, television viewing and purchase histories), and surveys (such as surveys on life values, brands and advertisement awareness) and uses them for market analysis and marketing. The Company analyzes sites information and Internet users, and conducts analytical reasoning for the distribution of advertisements based on Internet users’ interests, preferences and attributes (estimated genders and age groups).
- The Company acquires Internet users’ IP addresses and smartphone location information and uses them to analyze users’ action histories to the extent that specific individuals cannot be identified, and to distribute appropriate advertisements according to the area where the Internet is used, and the interests and preferences of users. In addition, the Company acquires the dates and times at which Internet users visited websites and the times at which smartphone location information was acquired and uses such information to distribute advertisements based on such visited and acquired dates and times, to report the aggregate results of segments to the Service users, and to manage the retention period for the Informative Data.
- The Company acquires the user agents of Internet users and, based on the operating systems and browsers of computers and the screen information of devices (i.e. browser language settings and character encoding settings, as well as display areas and color depth) used by Internet users which can be acquired from such user agents, the Company uses such user agents to distribute appropriate advertisements and contents that conform to such system specifications.
6. Informative Data Opt-out
Opt-out through websites
The Company acquires Informative Data through the websites which use the Service, from the computers (browsers) of Internet users who visit such websites and receives Informative Data from partner companies, etc. Internet users who do / do not wish to receive the distribution of advertisements using Informative Data (i.e. wish to opt-out or resume) are requested to click the links below:
Invalidation of Cookies
Internet users may delete cookies issued by the Service on the computers (browsers) they are using by changing the settings thereof. As a result, the ID information which connected the Informative Data acquired by the Company and the browser used by Internet users will be deleted and Internet users may therefore stop any previously acquired Informative Data from being used. However, this does not stop the Informative Data from being acquired and Informative Data will start to be newly acquired upon such Internet users’ subsequent use of the Internet.
Furthermore, the cookies function may be disabled by changing the settings. However, please note in advance that all or part of the services on some websites may become unavailable as a result.
Resetting and Invalidating Advertising IDs
Advertising IDs “AAID/IDFA” can be reset on smartphones. As a result, the ID information which connected the Informative Data acquired by the Company and the smartphones used by Internet users will be deleted and Internet users may therefore stop any previously acquired Informative Data from being used. However, this does not stop the Informative Data from being acquired and Informative Data will start to be newly acquired upon such Internet users’ subsequent use of the Internet.
Furthermore, advertising IDs may be invalidated by changing the settings.
7. Companies to which Informative Data is Provided and the Purposes of Provision thereof
The Company may categorize Internet users according to certain conditions, such as their interests, preferences and age groups, which can be estimated from the Informative Data acquired by the Company, and may provide such categorized information (hereinafter referred to as the “Segments”) as well as ID information to advertisers and other Company clients, and the companies who have a business relationship with the Company, such as advertisement distributors, media companies and advertising agencies.
The Segments and ID information provided by the Company will be used for conducting market planning, implementing advertising and promotional measures, and otherwise developing and improving products and services.
The Company does not allow any Company client or company who has a business relationship with the Company to acquire or use the Segments and ID information provided by the Company as personal data without the consent of the relevant Internet user. The Company will provide Segments and ID information only to Company clients and companies who have a business relationship with the Company that comply with applicable personal information laws of each country as well as the standards set forth by the Company.
The Company separately manages Informative Data it acquires in a strict manner so that the obtained Informative Data cannot be collated with other data (irrespective of whether it is personal information or Informative Data) obtained irrespective of individual purposes of use in relation to the acquisition of such Informative Data.
9. Security Measures for Informative Data
The Company will implement security measures under strict control and will continuously evaluate, correct and improve the contents and methods of such measures to prevent any unauthorized access to, or any leakage, destruction or damage (including loss, corruption and alteration, etc.) of the Informative Data in relation to the handling thereof.
10. Revisions to this Page
The Company shall continuously evaluate and endeavor to improve its personal information protection management system to reflect any changes in the demands of its clients and other business partners as well as those of the social environment and thus maintain its standard of excellence in handling and protecting personal information. The Company may revise the contents of this page, if necessary. Upon any amendment of these Principles, the Company will give notice through this website or any other website managed by the Company or by a method deemed appropriate by the Company, at an appropriate time.
Last updated: April 1, 2022